[PyKDE] PyQT: webbrowser.open crashes

Ingo Linkweiler i.linkweiler at gmx.de
Sat Oct 5 16:54:01 BST 2002

All my Qt-applications crash, when I try to do this:

import webbrowser
webbrowser.open_new("hilfe.html")

Tested on many systems, all with Win2000 and IE6 as default browser
(Python 2.2*, PyQt All versions, Qt NC)
Sometimes it works, but most time I get a general protection fault
caused by python.
I get the same error when doing some os.spawn* with the iexplore.exe,
when using other applications (notepad.exe) it seems to work.

A small demo showing the problem can be found here:
http://www.ingo-linkweiler.de/crashtest.py
Click "? -> Help" to see the error.
Please restart one or two times, if you do not get the error soon.

Any ideas to avoid this? Perhaps a problem of threading, because I get
similar errors when I use the module "threading" ?

regards, Ingo