[PyKDE] ANN: Packages for Eric, the Python IDE

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Wed Nov 27 20:40:01 GMT 2002

Hallo Victor,

thanks for your comments.

>   Hola:
>
> El Mié 27 Nov 2002 04:18, tech at bishop.dhs.org tecleó:
> > I am having some weirdness with the editor itself, but I'm not sure
> > if it's me or it :-)
>
>   I would suggest some tips for eric:
>
>   - Developers: test it in a 1024 screen. Too much things for so
> little space!

That is a general problem with IDEs. That's why you can hide certain
windows.

>   - The console would better placed at the bottom, not at the right

Do you mean below the editor? That wouldn't save any space because the
space on the right is used by the filesystem browser and the variables
viewer as well. And these really need the available space. Maybe you can
send me a sketch of a layout you recon is more suitable.

>   - The default fonts are too big

The default fonts are the ones of qscintilla. I could add a button to
change all the fonts of qscintilla simultaneously (see later post) but I
think that doesn't save much because it would get rid of some
distinguishing features of the syntax highlighter. You would have to go
through the fonts again to finetune them. Setting up all the fonts and
the other config stuff is a one time job done after the first
installation. From then on it's read from the config file. I will try to
keep the config file format, so that it can be reused after an upgrade.

>   - I can't change all the fonts (console and line numbering, for
> example)

Console and non qscintilla fonts are the ones configured for your system
(i.e. through KDE). The editor fonts are configurable. Unfortunately
qscintilla doesn't allow to change the line number style at the moment.
I will forward this request to Phil.

>   - It doesn't execute the scripts in their original path when opening
> a single file

Yep, there will be a fix in the next release. Maybe a more advanced later
on.

Detlev
--
Detlev Offenbach