[PyKDE] I Wish To Register A Complaint

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Thu May 9 18:29:00 BST 2002

"John R. Marshall" wrote:

> On Wednesday 08 May 2002 06:52 pm, Phil Thompson wrote:
>
> > So, why don't users want to test pre-releases and release candidates?
>
> Speaking for myself there are 2 reasons.
>
> 1 PyQt takes forever to compile on my old puter (8+ hours)

That's a fair point. Plus I suspect that there are a fair number of
commercial PyQt users who haven't got the time in their development
plans.

> 2 I'm a newbie programmer comming from a web/PHP background.
>

> > I'd like some feedback on this problem - what would motivate you as a
> > user to test a beta version with your application?
>
> Is there a way to run a stable release alongside a beta version? I'm learning
> so I don't want to stress my mind figuring out if a problem is my fault or a
> bug. :-)

That's what I do at the moment with the pre and rc releases. The problem
is to encourage more people to give the pre and (particularly) the rc
releases a go.

> > Over the next few weeks I intend to switch off CVS access and provide
> > daily snapshot source packages instead. Maybe if my initial reaction to
> > bug reports was then "have you tried the latest snapshot"?
>
> How would switching off CVS help? I would think the faster downloads from CVS
> would help?

I'm switching off CVS for other reasons.

> I'd be happy to submit bug reports if you don't mind any bugs that are my
> fault. :-)

I'd rather have reports of bugs that are your fault rather than my fault
:)