Solved [Re: [PyKDE] QPEApplication.setStylusOperation() woes]

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 13 16:42:01 GMT 2002

On Friday 13 December 2002 3:03 pm, Michael Lauer wrote:
> Quoting my own message from 2002-08-29:
> > Dear fellow PyQt'ers...
> >
> > did anyone have luck using QPEApplication.setStylusOperation(
> > QPEApplication.RightOnHold)? It simply doesn't work for me:
> > no right press event is emitted when it should be.
> >
> > I'm currently patching a libqpe.so to print out some debug information,
> > maybe someone else can also shed some light onto this situation?
>
> Apparantly it has been a problem with timerEvent() in QPEApplication
> which was commented out in PyQt 3.4 (a fact I only recently stumbled
> over when I was diff'in 3.4 and 3.5 :-)
>
> As a workaround I wrote the complete stylus handling in python -- which
> worked fine. However, this is no longer necessary, because
> setStylusOperation (aka the timerEvent() in QPEApplication) finally
> works in PyQt 3.5.
>
> I don't know if you explicitly looked into this, Phil, but I'm glad that
> it is functional now :)

Up until recently I was using the Qtopia SDK that was provided to people
entering the Trolltech competition. It was obvious that this had one or two
problems - basically I didn't believe the header files matched what was on
the implemented Zaurus. It also wasn't clear to me exactly what the API was -
the Qtopia documentation is very poor compared to the Qt documentation. This
lack of faith in Qtopia was one reason I sat on David's patches for so long.

However, I looked at the newer GPL Qtopia SDK and saw that it seemed to be
more in line with David's patches - so I decided to give it another chance.
In the end I only found one method in the header files that isn't implemented
on the Zaurus. The fix you are talking about just came out of re-doing the
Qtopia support.

So I feel a lot happier about supporting Qtopia properly. Feel free to give me
a list of things which are still missing and would be useful.