[PyKDE] FreeBSD build problems error 23512

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Aug 30 00:05:02 BST 2002

On 29-Aug-02 Steve Simmons wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 03:00:27PM -0400, Steve Simmons wrote:

>>   #!/usr/bin/python

>> That's not where python is installed on FreeBSD.  I changed it

>>   #!/usr/local/bin/python

>> and it worked fine.

> A couple of more notes on this.  Jim B writes:

>> For some reason, build.py is unable to find the 'postproc'
>> script . . .

> This is a common misconception.  Any time you run a shell script
> and immediately get the message `scriptname: not found' the
> problem is almost certianly that whatever is on the #! line was
> not found.

> On a different note, python can determine where it is run from.
> We should mod the installation package for the various items so
> one of the early steps is

>    # python -c 'import sys; print sys.executable'

> and use the response to build the #! lines.  This may come for
> free with ./configure, that might be the right place to put it.

Unless you're using configure to build for FreeBSD, there no longer
is a ./configure for PyKDE, but that, in fact is where the problem
originated. ./configure used to locate python and pass it to the
Makefiles which then used it to invoke the scripts. build.py knows
where python is (that's why you have to use 'python build.py ...'
to run it), and should use the located interpreter to run postproc
(eg - '<path>/python postproc ...'), but doesn't. The #! in postproc
really doesn't belong there - it's there as a convenience to me and
is guaranteed to work on my system, but obviously is correct for
all systems. However, having it there, I overlooked the need to
invoke postproc correctly.

I'll fix build.py for the next release.

Jim