[PyKDE] Place to upload RPMs

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sun Aug 25 01:16:01 BST 2002

On 24-Aug-02 Marc Schmitt wrote:
> I've been away on a short trip, and in the meantime they deleted
> the page ...  Probably I should have given them my real address,
> telephone number, fingerprints and sexual preferences .... no,
> not really  :)

I should've realized anyone can upload to sf sooner :(

> Ok, I'm now uploading the rpms onto the sourceforge/incomming
> folder. I hope it works, because my 56k connection isn't the
> most reliable one ... As soon as there are any .src.rpms
> somewhere I'll recompile everything available, the
> stuff without .src.rpms with checkinstall - just to provide
> 'cleaner' packages.

> The packages I'm currently uploading are

> sip-3.3.2-1.SuSE-8.0.i386.rpm
> PyKDE-3.3.2-1.SuSE-8.0.i386.rpm
> PyQt-3.3.2-1.SuSE-8.0.i386.rpm

> for

> out of the box SuSE 8.0 + YOU update to kde 3.0.2
> python 2.2 (python-2.2-105)
> qt-3.0.3 (qt3-3.0.3-15)
> kde 3.0.2 (kdebase3-3.0.2-38)

Perhaps I should point out YOU is not the pronoun, but "Yast Online
Update" (although I guess "you" still have to do some of the
update).

> I also think we should reenable sourceforge, or at least keep the
> package list up to date as well as the the project-homepage
> (might be a referrer to riverbank.) What about renaming the
> procjet from pykde2 to pykde ? IMHO is sourceforge the starting
> point for lots of people to look (including me), and if they
> find a project with an activity of 0% and a last update of half
> a year ago it probably doesn't make the best first impression.

While theKompany was still hosting the origninal PyKDE (KDE1) the
PyKDE2 name still made sense. It seems to make the numbering easier
to read to drop the '2' now.

I'm ambivalent about the sf site - it was setup when I had to
transfer 10MB or more to Phil for releases, but uploading is a pain
for me (my satellite link probably doesn't do as well as your 56K
dialup for uploads). I'm not sure if sf will let me rename -
acutally it might be better to just start over, as the stuff on
PyKDE2 is old and useless but I don't believe there's a way to
delete it. There's some politics involved in using sf to refer to
the riverbankcomputing site - I need to check that out too.

I'll probably do something with it, as I have some other stuff I
want to host there eventually, and the larger files (like rpms)
really hit the riverbank site for BW charges.

I'll post when I have your rpms and Jonathan's RH rpms transferred
over.

Jim