[PyKDE] Possible bug - PyKDE2 'generic'

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Apr 4 18:17:47 BST 2002

If you're building PyKDE2 from the 'generic' package *and* using
Qt2.3.2, there *may* be a problem with the 'build' script included
in the package. The build script requires a '-q' switch followed by
the Qt version you're using, for example:

   build -q232 ...

for Qt2.3.2. This is for conditionally building for the correct Qt
version from the PyQt sip files. Unfortunately, there is no
specific Qt 2.3.2 versioning (it uses Qt 2.3.1 instead) and this
may screw up code generation - I don't have Qt 2.3.2 installed
anywhere so can't test it.

The solution is to simply substitute '-q231' and everything should
work. Future releases [1] should handle this silently so you'll be
able to specify your actual Qt version and the build script will
substitute the corresponding version number PyQt needs.

This is not a problem with running Qt 2.3.2, it's a problem with
PyKDE2 specifying the correct parameters for generating code. Qt
2.3.2 should work fine.

This ONLY affects PyKDE2, NOT PyQt.

Thanks to Bill Soudan for discovering the problem and fix.

Jim

[1] I looked for KDE3.0 sources yesterday but couldn't find them.
Also couldn't find SuSE rpms. I'll try again today. I'll start on
the next PyKDE2 release as soon as I have the KDE source code for
kdelibs (and finish my tax returns :( )