[PyKDE] macos x/x11 port

Jeff Whitaker jsw at cdc.noaa.gov
Thu Dec 13 17:01:48 GMT 2001

Hi:  I've been working on getting pyqt to work on macosx with XFree86 and
qt-x11-free-3.0.0.  I've sucessfully gotten pyqt to build and install.
The main hurdle was due to the fact that MacOS X mach-o format treats
shared libs different that loadable modules (they are the same on ELF
systems).  To get around this, I ran the default pyqt install
(./configure; make) which builds dynamic libs (using cc -dynamiclib).
Then I deleted the lib*.la files, patched libtool to created shared
modules (using cc -bundle) and ran make again.  This is necessary since
the shared modules need to link the dynamic libs (libqtcmodule.dylib in
particular).  Now I'm trying to run some of the examples and tutorials and
find that most of them die with errors like this (from tut2.py):

[crdmac10:doc/pyqt/examples] jsw% python tut2.py
Qt: Locales not supported on X server
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tut2.py", line 15, in ?
    QObject.connect(quit,SIGNAL("clicked()"),a,SLOT("quit()"))
SystemError: error return without exception set

the dclock and dirview examples work fine, apparently because they don't
use the QObject.connect class.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

-Jeff

 --
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/CDC  R/CDC1        Email  : jsw at cdc.noaa.gov
325 Broadway                Web    : www.cdc.noaa.gov/~jsw
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-124