[Eric] Documentation is missing from IDE

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Mon May 13 17:44:28 BST 2019

Am Montag, 13. Mai 2019, 03:38:07 CEST schrieb Phil:
> On 12/5/19 7:16 pm, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> > Hi Phil,
> >
> > answers see below
> >
> > This function is related to showing code information in the respective
> > viewer when an opening bracket '(' is pressed or upon request. In order
> > for this to be available the rope or Jedi plug-in must be installed (or
> > both). Thereafter the provider to be used can be selected via the
> > selection list.
>
> Thank you Detlev for your reply.
>
> I could not find the Rope or Jedi plugins

Jedi is called "Completions, Jedit" and Rope is "Refactoring, Rope". The code
documentation provider uses functions of these plugins to retrieve the code
info from sources.

> but I did find, under "plugin
> repository", Python and Qt5 plugins. Pressing "download and install"
> resulted in the following:
>
> Could not download the requested file from
> https://eric-ide.python-projects.org/plugins6/stable/PluginDocumentationSets
> _Qt512.zip.
>
> Error: Error creating SSL context ()

This could mean, that the openssl library is not installed on your system or
is too old to be used by Qt. However, you can switch the plug-in repository
URL to http:// because that is still supported (but not the default anymore).

> Am I missing an ssl dev file?
>
> I do have /usr/share/doc/qt4-doc-html because of a previous installation
> of eric 17 (not from pip) and I do have /usr/share/doc/qt5-doc-html but
> without the html directory.
>
> So, to display the help information within the eric IDE do I need to
> solve the missing html directory from /usr/share/doc/qt5-doc-html

That would be one possibility.

> or do
> I need to discover why I cannot install the help files from the plugin
> repository?

That would be the other and probably best. See above for some hints.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de