[Eric] Problems with eric6 on Ubuntu 18.10

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Oct 25 18:26:02 BST 2018

I've just upgraded to Ubuntu 18.10 and have hit problems running eric6
(version 18.10).

When I first ran it using the pyqt5 (5.11.2) and sip (4.19.2) installed
from the Ubuntu respositories, I got the following:

$ eric6
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/eric6/eric6.py", line 28, in
<module>
    import Globals.compatibility_fixes     # __IGNORE_WARNING__
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/eric6/Globals/__init__.py", line
21, in <module>
    from PyQt5.QtCore import QDir, QLibraryInfo, QByteArray,
QCoreApplication, \
RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v12.0 to v12.4 but the
PyQt5.QtCore module requires API v12.5

So I installed pyqt5 using pip which also installed a newer version of sip eric6 runs, but I get:

$ eric6
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve CRYPTO_num_locks
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve CRYPTO_set_id_callback
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve CRYPTO_set_locking_callback
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve ERR_free_strings
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve EVP_CIPHER_CTX_cleanup
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve EVP_CIPHER_CTX_init
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve sk_new_null
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve sk_push
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve sk_free
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve sk_num
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve sk_pop_free
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve sk_value
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSL_library_init
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSL_load_error_strings
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSL_get_ex_new_index
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv3_client_method
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv23_client_method
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv3_server_method
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv23_server_method
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve X509_STORE_CTX_get_chain
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve OPENSSL_add_all_algorithms_noconf
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve OPENSSL_add_all_algorithms_conf
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLeay
qt.network.ssl: Incompatible version of OpenSSL
BackgroundService listening on: 37969
qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function d2i_X509

The last message is repeated for ever.

I've seen the last set of errors before but cannot remember who it was fixed.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue?

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G64, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039