[Eric] command line arguments running python debug in eric6

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Tue Nov 29 17:36:40 GMT 2016

Hello,

support for this use case is already implemented (for many years already). There are two
ways to achieve to start a program with command line parameters.

1. Start eric, load the script and Run/Debug/... it. In the dialog popping up enter the
parameters in the respective entry.

2. To start eric with the name of a script and parameters for it just add '--' after all
parameters meant for eric and then enter all the parameters for the script. eric --help
show a little explanation.

Detlev

On Tuesday 29 November 2016, 13:33:31 Fred 1 wrote:
> fedora 24 x86_64
> eric6 - 6.1.6
> python2.7
>
> i wrote a small test prog using argparse
> the problem is using python in a terminal, command line args are
> python -d -i argtest.py -v read_flash 000 0x000 file.one
>
>  >>> sys.argv[0]
>
> 'argtest.py'
>
>  >>> sys.argv[1]
>
> '-v'
>

> But in eric6
>
> sys.argv[0]
> '/home/fred1/e/esp-open-sdk/esptool/argtest.py'
>
>  >>> sys.argv[1]
>
> 'argtest.py'
>

> this completely borks my ability to use eric to debug a much larger program
> that depends on these command line arguments and argparse.
> Could there be a work around?
> I've only now dabbled in python for a few days, so newb. but i am a veteran
> of many other language codes.

*Detlev Offenbach*
detlev at die-offenbachs.de