[Eric] Eric helpviewer

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Feb 19 18:25:58 GMT 2014

Hey Detlev,

* Detlev Offenbach <detlev at die-offenbachs.de> [2014-02-19 19:03:48 +0100]:
> the eric 'help browser' is a full fledged web browser. Why write another one? How about
> extracting it and make it a standalone browser?

I want some very specific features (minimal UI, vim-like keybindings,
and some other stuff) and the basic stuff is already finished now when
I discovered eric. Also, it's a nice excersize for me as the first Qt
and the first big python project.

(Why not Firefox + Vimperator/Pentadactyl? Because it's bloated and
gets more and more scary with built-in ads and stuff)
(Why not dwb/luakit/...? Because they use GtkWebKit which is unstable
as hell)

> If you want to go with your own browser and want to take code from the eric web browser, you
> may do so as long as you mark it with a proper copyright statement and your project is published
> under GPLv3.

Okay, will do that. Though I'm not sure yet what I'm supposed to do
when I change lots of the code and just get the general idea from your
code. Is something like this okay for you?

  # Copyright 2014 Florian Bruhin (The Compiler) <mail at qutebrowser.org>
  #
  # Based on the eric5 helpviewer,
  # Copyright (c) 2012 - 2014 Detlev Offenbach <detlev at die-offenbachs.de>
  #
  # <GPLv3 boilerplate>

> If you find and fix issues in my code I would be happy to receive the fix for
> inclusion in eric.

Yes, sure. I'll give back what I can.

Thanks,
Florian