[Eric] Eric helpviewer

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Wed Feb 19 18:03:48 GMT 2014

Hello,

the eric 'help browser' is a full fledged web browser. Why write another one? How about
extracting it and make it a standalone browser? I already thought about that but haven't found the
time yet. eric keeps me busy. A standalone browser could be called 'Troll Web' (Troll for former
Trolltech, Web for web browser). I could create a Mercurial repository for that on my server over
here.

If you want to go with your own browser and want to take code from the eric web browser, you
may do so as long as you mark it with a proper copyright statement and your project is published
under GPLv3. If you find and fix issues in my code I would be happy to receive the fix for
inclusion in eric.

On Wednesday 19 February 2014, 07:13:31 Florian Bruhin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently writing my own browser[1] based on PyQt5.
>
> I somehow stumbled over Eric and found the Helpviewer[2] in the
> source, which seems to be a full-fledged browser, with adblocking,
> userscripts, and probably some other code which might be handy for me.
>
> What's the state of that code? I guess I can borrow some of that for
> my project (also under the GPL3), right?
>
> Also, I noticed LICENSE.GPL3[3] in hg says:
>   Eric is Copyright (c) 2002 - 2008 Detlev Offenbach
>
> might want to update that ;)
>
> Florian
>
> [1] http://git.the-compiler.org/qutebrowser/tree/
> [2]