[Eric] Debbuging over SSH?

Bradley D. Thornton Bradley at NorthTech.US
Sat Sep 7 03:15:12 BST 2013

On 09/06/2013 12:12 AM, Hans Schmidt wrote:
> Am 06.09.2013 15:47, schrieb Bradley D. Thornton:
>>

>> Yes, absolutely! This is not a problem at all, and in fact the way I
>> think you will find that most people do. I do this with Eric, Geany,
>> Netbeans, Eclipse, and many other applications.
>>
>> Kindest regards,
>>

> Hello Bradley,
>
> oh, thanks for the quick help! :)
>
> But I think this is slightly different of what I had in mind. With your
> solution, Eric runs on box2, right? (and only the GUI gets shown on my
> PC)

Yes, that is exactly the case. All RAM/CPU, and diskwrites occur on box2
and only video/keyboard/mouse functions occur on box1 (your local PC).

I'm sorry if that's not the optimum solution for you, but having said
that you might try running a local instance of Eric on your PC (box1),
and performing diskwrites to/from a mounted NFS or SAMBA share, and I'm
not sure, but I think you can also configure Eric to use SFTP (I do this
w/Bluefish) or just SCP up you files whenever you write, followed by
running/debugging in the Python shell (SSH'd into box2) on box2.

I realize this alternative doesn't allow for what you were really
looking for in terms of using Eric as the all encompassing IDE to
edit/debug in one place, but perhaps someone else here can offer a
solution that I too would be interested in checking out.

You have a great day and do let us know what solution you come up with,
as I'm sure others here would be quite interested :)