[Eric] Debbuging over SSH?

Hans Schmidt z0idberg at gmx.de
Fri Sep 6 08:12:40 BST 2013

Am 06.09.2013 15:47, schrieb Bradley D. Thornton:

> Yes, absolutely! This is not a problem at all, and in fact the way I
> think you will find that most people do. I do this with Eric, Geany,
> Netbeans, Eclipse, and many other applications.
>
> Kindest regards,

Hello Bradley,

oh, thanks for the quick help! :)

But I think this is slightly different of what I had in mind. With your
solution, Eric runs on box2, right? (and only the GUI gets shown on my
PC) But then I would need a X-Server on box2, it may not be as fast as
box1 (especially if there is a slow internet connection) and it would
look quite different from what I have on my desktop PC. Also, it may not
be installed there (ok, I could do that, but this is inconvenient).

I rather thought about running Eric completely on box1 (also saving the
program which I am writing there), but when I press “run program” or
“debug program”, it will then get transfered to box2 and running there.
The actual responses etc. are in the shell window of Eric on box1. So
basically Eric itself is still on box1, but only the program which is
debugged runs on box2.

I am actually thinking of this because I want to buy a Raspberry Pi but
do not have any screen here which I can attach it to. I can of course
connect to its terminal with SSH and share files with Samba or NFS, but
whenever I write a program, I would have to switch back to the SSH
terminal and start it there (which would then leave me without a
debugger). I cannot really debug the application on my desktop PC
because it does not have the GPIO ports (which I want to use). On the
other hand, I cannot use the Raspberry to run Eric because it does not
have a screen (Also, it would not be so convenient because you always
have to change between normal desktop and Raspberry) and presumably is a
bit slower. If I used the Raspberry for something more specific (home
automation), I would perhaps not install an X-Server to make it more
stable. Therefore your solution may not work.

Also, my web server, to which I can connect with SSH, does not have a
X-Server. I tried your solution but it doesn't work :(

Hans