[Eric] Eric Windows 8.1 install failed, need QtWebKit?

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Thu Nov 28 17:26:39 GMT 2013

On Wednesday 27 November 2013, 18:34:25 Robert Withrow wrote:
> I've installed:
>
>    - python-3.3.3.amd64
>    - qt-windows-opensource-5.1.1-msvc2012-x86_64-offline
>    - PyQt4-4.10.3-gpl-Py3.3-Qt5.1.0-x64
>
> When I try to install eric5-5.3.8 I get:
> e:\Users\witr\Downloads\eric5-5.3.8\eric5-5.3.8>install.py
> Checking dependencies
> Python Version: 3.3.3
> Found PyQt4
> Found QtHelp
> Found QScintilla2
> Found QtGui
> Found QtNetwork
> Found QtSql
> Found QtSvg
> Sorry, please install QtWebKit.
> Error: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
> Press enter to continue...
>
> I'm trying to have simple installs (so this setup can be duplicated by
> others) so I'd just as soon not to have to build stuff.  Shouldn't this
> "just work"?

This simply means, that QtWebKit is not installed or failed to load. The eric install does an
'from PyQt4 import QtWebKit'. Please try this in a console. If it fails please check, if such a
library is installed on your system.

> Side note: it seems impossible to install Eric with PyQt5 even though
> release notes say experimental support has been added.

That is not quite right. The release note says, that it includes experimental support for Qt5, i.e.
PyQt4 compiled against Qt5. eric does not run with PyQt5. However, you may use eric to
develop PyQt5 programs (if you use the development version of eric).

Detlev--
*Detlev Offenbach*
detlev at die-offenbachs.de