[Eric] eric4 indentation

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Thu Nov 22 17:33:12 GMT 2012

On Thursday 22 November 2012, 10:17:41 Dan wrote:
> > I believe you also have to set the same font for the language's lexer
> > for indention guides to match the chosen default monospaced font.
>
> Thanks. After experimenting a bit, I find it impossible to infer the
> precedence order of the various font options, especially as the
> highlighter styles allow you to set "size only" / "family only" / etc.

The highlighter fonts take precedence. Whenever a highlighter is available for
the programming language, this is used. The default font is only used, if no
suitable highlighter is found. Please note, that highlighting and drawing of
the indentation lines is done by the QScintilla widget (outside eric).

> Moreover the "defaulted" settings don't seem to be discoverable from
> the UI. That is, if I set a font to "family only" Courier, how does
> the GUI tell me that the font size and font style (regular, bold) are
> defaults?

Selecting one of the ... only options means, that only this will be changed.
The other font properties are left untouched. They are not reset to default
values.

> The font dialog combo boxes don't have a "default" or "blank" option.
> It seems that when a setting is "defaulted", the combo box shows the
> 1st item of the list.

The font dialog should show the font of the selected style because that is
passed to it. If that does not work, you should flag a Qt bug report (it's
simply using QFontDialg.getFont(font)).

> Many of dialogs show me oblique or italic font styles when I first
> open them, though the editor area doesn't display any italics. I guess
> that's a consequence of the above "1st item =
> either-default-or-really-what-it-says" convention.

s. above

> Where are the settings saved? Is there a way to reset all preferences
> once they become a mess? I found both a ~/.eric4 (with a bunch of
> subdirs) and a ~/.config/Eric4. These are conflicting configuration
> conventions (but whatever).

The settings are save in ~/.config/Eric4/eric4.ini. This is the settings file
for all configurable items. The ~/.eric4 directory contains files and
subdirectories used by eric to store data between invocations.

> Is there any documentation that addresses these bits? At least the
> obscure / surprising / non-standard ones...

Once you've written it, it will exist ;-) I am still looking for volunteers
(since several years now)

detlev at die-offenbachs.de