[Eric] eric5 Debian packages available?

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 06:43:16 GMT 2012

Hello.

I've mostly shifted to Py3 and have been been using eric now and then
which is very useful for debugging my Py programs -- many thanks to
the developer(s)!

But the eric on my Kubuntu Precise system is eric4, and it marks
print() functions as bugs. I even tried including at the head of my
file:

import sys
if sys.version < '3' : from __future__ import print_function

but eric4 still throws an error saying "from __future__" statements
should be at the top of the file, so this is not an option for me, nor
do I wish to forgo the advantages of the print function just to be
able to use eric4.

I found the following bug report regarding official Debian packaging for eric5:

... but it seems there is little progress. Googling also did not give
me anything. No PPAs on LaunchPad seem to have anything either:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas?name_filter=eric5

Can anyone point me to any Debian packages which I have missed, or is
checkinstall the only option? Thanks!

--
Shriramana Sharma