[Eric] Eric5 and PyQt4 for python2 and python3 coexistence

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Mon Aug 29 17:18:15 BST 2011

On Montag, 29. August 2011, Mikhail Terekhov wrote:
> Detlev,
>
> I'm trying to create rpm packages for eric5, sip, PyQt4 and PyQScintilla
> for python3 for SuSE and encountered the following problem. The sip, PyQt4
> and PyQScintilla packages for python2 and python3 install conflicting
> files (/usr/bin/pylupdate4, /usr/bin/pyrcc4, /usr/bin/pyuic4,
> /usr/share/sip/PyQt4/*). Some of these could be moved in some common for
> python2/python3 package as they look python version independent but pyuic4
> script has hard coded python version and the only way I see to solve this
> is to rename python3 version to something like py3uic4. The problem is
> that in eric5 code the name of this script is hard coded. Would it be
> possible to make it configurable in the preferences dialog or may be use
> the pyuic module directly depending on the project python version?
>
> Regards,

Hi,

in principal this could be made configurable with the current names as
defaults. However, that would mean, that on openSUSE installations user will
not be able to develop without configuring these settings which might cause a
bunch of false error reports. As both variants of the tools produce correct
results, there should be no need to differentiate between the two. If you
would like to have them both, please think of another method.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de