[Eric] segmentation fault with Eric4-4.3.8 on SUSE 11.1_x64

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Fri Oct 30 22:42:20 GMT 2009

On Thursday 29 October 2009, 01:23:06 Arndt Meier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Eric4 starts its IDE and all is well. I get a message "eric4 has not been configured yet. The configuration dialog will be started.
OK". Whether or not I press "OK", after some 30 seconds eric4 just crashes with no error message in the bash shell other than segfault:
> > eric4
>
> Warning: translation file 'qt_en_GB'could not be loaded.
> Using default.
> Warning: translation file 'eric4_en_GB'could not be loaded.
> Using default.
> Warning: translation file 'qscintilla_en_GB'could not be loaded.
> Using default.
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> ls -lrt  shows
> -rw-------  1 meiera users 91054080 2009-10-29 10:42 core.32758
>
> And even stranger, gdb does not understand the core dump
> ~> gdb core.32758 /usr/local/bin/eric4
> GNU gdb (GDB; openSUSE 11.1) 6.8.50.20081120-cvs
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to
> change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted
> by law.  Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "x86_64-suse-linux".
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://bugs.opensuse.org/>...
> "/home/meiera/core.32758": not in executable format: File format not
> recognized "/usr/local/bin/eric4" is not a core dump: File format not
> recognized (gdb) bt
> No stack.
>
> Starting a minimalistic eric:
> eric4 --nosplash --noopen  --nokde
> and not doing/touching anything, again after some 30 seconds eric4
> crashes and again there is a pseudo core dump -rw-------  1 meiera users
> 76963840 2009-10-29 11:10 core.402
> that gdb again cannot read (as above).
>
> I am running:
> openSUSE 11.1_x64
> Qt 4.5.2
> QScintilla-gpl-2.4
> PyQt-x11-gpl-4.6.1
> sip-4.9.1
> python 2.6.2
> python-kde4 4.3.1-2.3

You seem to compile stuff from tarballs (and might be using
rpm --force | --nodeps for any of these or related ones, e.g. kdelibs4).

That tends to produce unreproducible effects, and any of the advices below
might be void. Better start with a full manual cleanup (remove everything
from /usr/local apart from directories), and _reinstall_ the packages, that
you installed manually, with yast2.

> Any help in resolving this error is greatly appreciated.

Then you might try my packages from:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/frispete:/branches:/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/

They contain full debugging infos, btw.

In the openSUSE_11.1_KDE_Qt tree, I provide packages based on Qt 4.5.3
from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt/openSUSE_11.1
while openSUSE_Factory is based on current KDE 4.3.1 from:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1
This should allow you to rebuild your environment fully rpm based in any
flavor you want.

Further debugging is better done with these packages installed:

gcc43-debuginfo-4.3.3_20081022-9.5
gcc43-debugsource-4.3.3_20081022-9.5
glibc-debuginfo-2.9-2.12.1
glibc-debugsource-2.9-2.12.1
kdelibs4-debuginfo-4.1.3-4.10.4
kdelibs4-debugsource-4.1.3-4.10.4
libqt4-debuginfo-4.5.3-70.1
libqt4-debugsource-4.5.3-70.1
python-base-debuginfo-2.6.0-2.22.1
python-base-debugsource-2.6.0-2.22.1
python-debuginfo-2.6.0-2.21.1
python-debugsource-2.6.0-2.21.1
python-qt4-debuginfo-4.6.1-53.1
python-qt4-debugsource-4.6.1-53.1
python-sip-debuginfo-4.9.1-54.1
python-sip-debugsource-4.9.1-54.1

available from:
http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/ and
http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/11.1/

Minors might differ..

All these URLs contain repo files, that is easiest fetched with the attached
script.

Make your choice of repos, and run "zypper -v dup" then. It might be necessary
to force installation of the right eric with "zypper -v in eric-4.3.8-40.5".

Lookup the available minors with "zypper -v se -s eric".

Then run eric:
gdb python -ex "set args /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/eric4/eric4.py" -ex run

This should give you a usable backtrace (bt full).

Hope, that gets you started ;-)..

Pete