[Eric] Python 3.x support

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Thu Oct 8 17:33:10 BST 2009

On Donnerstag, 8. Oktober 2009, Stephan Neunreither wrote:
> ext Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what are you trying to port? eric4 development snapshots support the
> > development of Python3 applications. However, eric4 needs Python2 to run.
> > A port of eric4 to Python3 will be done, once it gets more widely used
> > because I can only support one variant of eric. eric is still a one-man
> > show (mostly).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Detlev
> >
> > On Mittwoch, 7. Oktober 2009, Stephan Neunreither wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> this might be a question asked for the x-th time, but as I am new to
> >> this mailing list, I will pose it again:
> >> Is there a time-line for Python 3.x support?
> >>
> >> And if not, can anyone point me to a walk-through on how to do a
> >> port/installation for Pyton 3.x?
> >>
> >> As a last resort, I can attempt a port myself but only, if nobody has
> >> done it.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Stephan.
>
> Hi Detlev,
> thanks for your swift reply.
>
> I currently only have one Python version installed, which is 3.1.1 and
> am searching for and IDE for Python that supports Qt (for obvious
> reasons). Yours seems to be the best in this respect. I have tried the
> Wing IDE but first it is not entirely open source and it does not
> support my work flow well (and it's slow).
> The port of Eric would target the installation and execution in a Python
> 3.x environment and maybe even create an installation that is
> independent of the installed Python version in a self-contained folder
> hierarchy.

Please be aware that a port will take quite some time due to change PyQt4 APIs
as well. I would recommend to install Python2 in parallel to Python3 which
should work quite well. Once the new PyQt4 API has matured a little bit and
Python3 is more widely used, I will start this task. Maybe you can support
this once it started.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de