[Eric] Eric4 segfault

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Jun 27 08:30:26 BST 2009

On Samstag, 27. Juni 2009, Henrik Pauli wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a weird problem and I don't know how to begin debugging it.
>
> I have these versions of the related apps and libs installed:
>
> $ dpkg -l eric4 pyqt4 sip qt4 python qscintilla2 qscintilla2-python
>
> | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-p
> |end / Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> | uppercase=bad)
> |
> ||/ Name                 Version       Description
>
> +++-====================-=============-====================================
>================================ ii  eric4                4.3.4-1.2
> Python/Ruby integrált fejlesztői környezet (IDE) ii  pyqt4
> 4.5.1-1.50    Qt4 kiegészítések Pythonhoz ii  python
> 2.6.2-2.50    Python programnyelv
> ii  qscintilla2          2.4-1.2       A Scintilla2 C++ editor Qt4 portja
> ii  qscintilla2-python   2.4-1.2       A Scintilla2 C++ editor pyqt4 portja
> ii  qt4                  4.5.1-1.2     Qt grafikus függvénytár
> ii  sip                  4.8.1-1.50    Fejlesztőeszköz, amellyel C/C++
> kódot tehetünk elérhetővé Pythonból
>
> And currently, both the build process of eric4 (which is setup.py install,
> give or take a few more things), and running it, results in a Segmentation
> fault.

If you are installing eric4 by doing a "setup.py install" you are not using a
supported package. Please download eric4 from the web site, untar the file
into a directory of your choice and run "python install.py" inside that
directory.

The segfault comes from one of the libraries and not directly from eric4. You
could run the steps eric4's installation routine performs manually in a
Python shell.