[Eric] Request: easier install process, please

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 18:51:23 BST 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Robert
Withrow<witr-sender-cf3b11 at rwwa.com> wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> On 23.07.09 19:33:41, Robert Withrow wrote:
>>
>>> I've brought this up before.  Current versions of Eric are unavailable
>>> in the package repos of any distro.
>>>

>> That statement is simply wrong. I can see eric just fine here in Debian.
>>

> You didn't read carefully enough.  I said "current".  Old packages are
> available in distros but only get updated when a new version of the
> distro is released.  This happens, maybe, every six months.
>> Now, I haven't been following eric development very closely in the last 1-2
>> years, but I was under the impression that the only required dependency of
>> eric is PyQt4 (and hence Qt4)
>
> Please check the web site, because your impression is not correct.

The required dependencies are Python, Qscintilla and PyQt4 (and hence
Qt). Some of these dependency issues are not specific to eric, but
more a problem for python in general. I think it would be nice if Eric
used distutils so a binary installer could be distributed for windows,
one that included a post-installation script that created entries for
eric in the start menu. But I don't really see what is the issue on
linux, if you want more up-to-date versions of software, you can
usually enable optional repositories that provides them. I have a
system at work running fedora 10, and I'm able to install eric-4.3.4
with yum.

Respectfully,
Darren