[Eric] looking for step by step installation guide for eric4 on WinXP.

Geert Vancompernolle geert.eric4 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 15:37:03 GMT 2009

Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> On Sonntag, 1. Februar 2009, Geert Vancompernolle wrote:
>
>> Nirav Dani wrote:
>>
>>> I am new to Python, so decided to undertake eric4 installation as first
>>> project. As per PyQT download page, the binary installer includes
>>> QT/QScintella and PyQT. Is it still required to install QT 4.4
>>> (~160MB???)and QScintella seperately? Is there any online resource which
>>> covers step by step detail installation process (each and every piece
>>> required in exact order to run eric4 successfully) on WinXP. Also, what
>>> and how to use twisted python using eric4. What type of configuration
>>> will be required to use twisted in eric environment?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> ND.
>>>
>> Maybe this article on my site will help?
>>
>> http://myjoomla.gevawebsolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=arti
>> cle&id=37:python-ides&catid=10:python&Itemid=40
>>
>> See for the section regarding installing Eric4 IDE.
>>

> Hi,
>
> that is a neat installation procedure! However, didn't you miss the
> installation steps for QScintilla, sip and the QScintilla Python bindings?
>
> Regards,
> Detlev

Hi Detlev,

Well, to my humble opinion, I don't think so.  Although it is mentioned
on your as well as on the PyQt site that there are some other
dependencies to be taken into account, I didn't need them while I was
installing the whole Python-PyQt-Eric4 IDE, both at home as well as at
my work.  And so far, I didn't face any problems; all works fine without
those extra packages.

Could of course be that some parts are only needed in specific
situations/applications, but so far I didn't miss anything.

For instance: I downloaded the SourceForge project Spyrit (I really
advise everybody who starts the "tuple" Python/PyQt/Eric4 to look into
that code, even if it's only for the purpose of learning the combination
Python/PyQt), which makes use of the package 'sip'.  I can run/debug
this app without any problems.  So, I guess one way or another those
dependencies, if really needed, must have been implicitly installed by
one of the 3 beforementioned  installation packages.

If I would find out that there are (or someone else can point me to)
missing packages/installations, I'll immediately update my website and
come back on this subject here in the forum.

PS: thanks that you appreciate my small contribution to the community... :-)

--
Best rgds,

Geert