[Eric] Segmentation fault

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Thu Aug 27 16:37:11 BST 2009

[Posted to ML also to be a daunting example of consequences, when mixing
installations from tarballs with those from package management]

Am Donnerstag, 27. August 2009 schrieben Sie:
> PyQt4 was not there!
> Maybe because I install a program called Camelt!
>
> but now that I have PyQt4 I get :
>
> [root at canil eric4-4.4-snapshot-20090821]# python install.py
> Checking dependencies
> Python Version: 2.6.0
> Found PyQt
> Segmentation fault

Looks like you trashed your installation - usually by installation of
arbitrary tarballs, while those packages are installed by rpm.

This is the best recipe to produce such a disaster, you're looking at.

Now you know the reason, why you should _always_ install rpms and never ever
install tarballs in a sane system. I don't. If you need to update to a
newer version, roll your own _RPM_. Learn to build rpms, and your life's
getting much easier under linux. While at it, be careful with rpm --nodeps
and rpm --force. There's a strong reason, why yum doesn't provide those.

OTOH, rpm -e && rpm -Uhv is fine..

Note, that package management is one of the greatest advantages of linux
over other OS. The computer equivalent of the difference between childhood
and being grown-up.

Come back, when you cleaned /usr/local (basically, remove _all_ _files_
there), reinstalled everything below /usr/lib64/python2.6 from rpm and when
output of rpm -Va doesn't contain any lines with 5 in the third column
which aren't below /etc.

If you managed to provide a --prefix=/usr argument to a connfigure script,
wipe your platter, reinstall, and follow my words in the first paragraphs.

Pete