[Eric] pysvn versus svn

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Thu Aug 13 00:08:44 BST 2009

Dear Detlev,

Am Dienstag, 11. August 2009 schrieb Detlev Offenbach:
> Hallo Hans-Peter,
>
> fianlly being back from a short trip to Norway I am glad to see, that you
> are working heavily on getting a complete eric package for openSUSE. Did
> you ensure dependancies of pyenchant as well? This package is used for
> spell checking.

Indeed, I forgot that. Thanks for the remainder. Would be worth a note on
http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/eric4-download.html, too.

If I try to ask Eric Idle for his agreement to allow us to use a picture
from him as a new eric mascot, would you accept a change? Attached one as
example.

> Now to your question relating to svn and pysvn. The svn plugin is using
> the svn commandline tool to do its task. However, due to the fact that
> svn is sending some output directly to the console bypassing stderr or
> stdout, eric cannot intercept these (actually it's Qt not intercepting).
> That is most annoyingly the case with the password prompt.

May be, that behavior deserves a (deprecation) mark, and the pysvn selection
should be disabled, if not available (probably already in place, but I seem
to remind, that it's not.

> The pysvn variant uses a completly different mechanism not relying on the
> svn commandline tool. Therefore all the prompting works fine via dialogs.
> The pysvn variant is the one I am using for my day-to-day work since long
> ago and should be the preffered one.

Okay, good to know. I switched now (- that I found the switch -), and
certainly, some thinks behave much better (eg. tagging).

Thanks & kind regards,
Pete