[Eric] pysvn versus svn

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Tue Aug 11 17:00:04 BST 2009

Hallo Hans-Peter,

fianlly being back from a short trip to Norway I am glad to see, that you are
working heavily on getting a complete eric package for openSUSE. Did you
ensure dependancies of pyenchant as well? This package is used for spell
checking.

Now to your question relating to svn and pysvn. The svn plugin is using the
svn commandline tool to do its task. However, due to the fact that svn is
sending some output directly to the console bypassing stderr or stdout, eric
cannot intercept these (actually it's Qt not intercepting). That is most
annoyingly the case with the password prompt.

The pysvn variant uses a completly different mechanism not relying on the svn
commandline tool. Therefore all the prompting works fine via dialogs. The
pysvn variant is the one I am using for my day-to-day work since long ago and
should be the preffered one.