[Eric] Re: Eric4 help viewer causes pythonw.exe crash

Jaime Seuma jaims.seuma at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 08:47:43 BST 2009

Hi

I've tried to debug eric4 in this regard. I've used eric4 for that
debugging task, of course ;-)

So far, I found that the 'linkActivated' signal, which is emitted in
response to events happening in many areas of the HelpWindow, make
Python crash:
- HelpTocWidget.py, line 120:
    self.emit(SIGNAL("linkActivated(const QUrl&)"), itm.url())
- HelpIndexWidget. Double-clicking an item fires the Python crash
- HelpSearchWidget. Double-clicking an item fires the Python crash

First of all, it is a Python crash, not an eric4 crash.
I'm using windows XP, and it shows a dialog explaining that pythonw made
an illegal operation with qtnetwork4.dll.

Wrapping the fore mentioned code (HelpTocWidget.py, line 120) with a
try/catch block doesn't help; no Python exception is catched.

I don't think that this python crash is caused by any of the eric4 code.
I rather think that some version jam must be behind these crashes.
I updated versions of most of the stuff involved with eric4 some weeks
ago, but I've kept some of the older versions (python25, qt 4.4.0); and
I believe that something must be misconfigured.
Or that some dll mistakenly went to the %WINDIR%, or that some env
variable must be corrected...

Regards

Detlev wrote:

Hi Jaime, I tried it on my Windows installation and cannot reproduce the
problem. Can you try to debug it? The only difference in version I can
spot is sip. I have 4.7.8 installed. Regards, Detlev On Dienstag, 21.