Eric7 crashes unexpectedly

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Fri Feb 16 09:03:08 GMT 2024

Hi Patrick,

I created an openSUSE 15.5 virtual machine with the Gnome desktop and
installed eric in a Python virtual environment. During this process I
made these observations, which might be related to your issue.

 1. openSUSE Leap 15.5 installs an outdated Python version by default
    (3.6.x).
 2. Due to the fact, that Python 3.6 and 3.7 are no longer supported by
    eric-ide, the pip installation command for eric-ide installs an
    outdated version (22.3 dated March 2022, i.e. about two years old).
 3. Due to the same fact, an outdated version of PyQt6 and Qt6 got
    installed.

Once I noticed that, I installed Python 3.11 using yast and recreated
the Python virtual environment using that version. Installing eric-ide
now installed the latest eric-ide version (24.2.1) together with PyQt6
6.6.1 and Qt6 6.6.1. The only remaining issue with this is, that Qt
requires q newer SSL library than is installed by default. That can be
solved by installing 'libopenssl_3' using yast.

I hope these findings and correction steps will help you solve your issue.

Regards, Detlev

detlev at die-offenbachs.de