tips for using eric for micropython?

Christian Haul c.haul at web.de
Sat Sep 3 19:18:03 BST 2022

Hi Detlev,
aparently I'm missing something in the settings.

The REPL works fine even including completion (by the board of course). In an editor buffer, completion works for
QtScintilla (i.e., based on the buffer's content). I have enabled auto completion providers Eric, Jedi, QtScintilla,
Rope and same for call-tips providers. Disabling all but eric does not change anything.

Project is defined as "Micropython"/"Other".

For example, there is no suggestion for methods and properties for "machine" (after "import machine")

I didn't spot a plugin for µPy. The eric assistant plugin is installed.

When looking at ~/eric_env/lib/python3.10/site-packages/eric7/APIs/MicroPython/micropython.api it looks like it should
do something: There are 131 lines starting "machine".

Is there a description of the file format? Even a tool for extracting from original py files or via introspection on the
board?

If I would want to add a specific flavor for the ESP8266 port - would it be sufficient to put another .api file
("micropython_esp8266.api") in that location?

As for the workflow. At the moment I code in an editor and use the "run on device" button. When things become more
stable, I plan to move those stable parts to separate files and upload them while keeping the main one, i.e.,
initialization and control loop, in this workflow until done or doing detached tests.

If this works out, I'd be happy to provide a howto. Anything that I could use for inspiration / format?

Chris.