Bug, in the Windows version: Resource Compiling.

Dirk Mittler dirkmittler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 15:41:30 GMT 2022

Hello,

I've been using Eric for a while under Linux, and found that up to Debian
9, it always worked well.
However, with the version that I installed using 'pip' under Windows 10,
there is a bug, that reduces the usefulness of your IDE. This bug has
existed, ever since I've been trying to use Eric under Windows.
When I tell Eric to compile (PyQt5) resource scripts from the GUI, the IDE
freezes and the resource scripts are not compiled. Sometimes, the (lengthy)
compiled results display briefly as Base-64 encoded, in a terminal window
which is not supposed to be shown. And this sporadic behaviour causes me to
suspect, that Eric fails to tell the 'pyrcc5' command-line, to output the
compiled resources to their correct .py File.
In general, one is supposed to specify the output file with the '-o'
option, before the name of the resource script. If one fails to do that,
the latest versions of 'pyrcc5' will output everything to standard output.
Just to be sure that the problem isn't elsewhere, I've navigated the
Command Prompt to the project folder, and given the 'pyrcc5' command
manually, to find that this works without problems.
Is it possible that earlier versions of 'pyrcc5' existed, to which the name
of the output file did not need to be given?
Also, the click-to-compile UI Forms feature works just fine from within
Eric. Only the resource scripts don't compile.

Eric version 22.12 (pip install)
pyrcc5 version 5.15.7 (pip install)

It would be really nice if Eric could be made to work 100% again, as its
main purpose is, to simplify the task of application-building, without
requiring manual steps.

Dirk