[Eric] Request: easier install process, please

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 16:28:22 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Darren Dale<dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Robert Withrow<witr at rwwa.com> wrote:
>>
>> Darren Dale wrote:

>>> I would be willing to take a shot at it. Time is an issue, but I think
>>> I can get something together.
>>
>> Me too.  Darren, if you want to collaborate send me direct email.  I'll
>> be at the Lake Placid Ice Dance competition until next week though.  Cheers!
>
> I spoke with Detlev offlist, and we identified some issues that make
> it difficult to install using distutils (for example, seperate
> installers for the various languages that install into the same target
> directory in site-packages). We decided it was not worth altering the
> working installation script.

Just to follow up, today I discovered that it *is* possible to install
various subpackages into a common root package directory, and it can
be done using distutils. For example, assuming you have a source
directory containing the contents of the foo plugin, here is a
setup.py file that would install it to
/path/to/python/site-packages/eric4/plugins/foo:

from distutils.core import setup

setup(
    package_dir = {'eric4.plugins.foo': '.'},
    packages = [
        'eric4.plugins.foo',
        'eric4.plugins.foo.bar',
    ]