[Eric] Remote debug question

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Sep 27 09:48:34 BST 2008

On Samstag, 27. September 2008, wayne collier wrote:
> Hi. I have Eric 4 installed on my Windows XP machine and I have
> mod_python web  application on my RH Linux server.  For  some reason, I
> can not  fully install eric on  my  Linux  box.   So, what I would like
> to  do  is  debug my  python web app  from  my XP  machine  that has a
> good eric4.    Just so I am clear,  DO I need to have REMOTE DEBUGGING
> set up  to  do  this on my Windows machine?  I am assuming I don't.

No. To debug mod_python applications you need to enable passive debugging. All
that is written down in the mod_python.pdf document in the eric4 distro.

>  Also, is path translation needed for Passive debugging?

If the path to the scripts are identical on the machine running the IDE and
the machine running the debug client, you don't need it. If they are
different, that does the trick to locate the local sources.

>  And lastly,
> what or where  would be the
> debug client under my above desired scenario?

Just install it into a path accessible via the Python path. A suitable place
would be under site-packages.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de