[Eric] Any way to disable launching of javascript in external editor?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Sun Oct 12 17:47:11 BST 2008

Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all I would like to recommend an update of eric4 because your version
> is very old.

Sigh, yes.  Unfortunately that would mean breaking out of the
platform-maintained package and having to maintain the entire
compile-chain myself.  I won't even mention that at work on Debian-Etch
I have to use Eric 3.x :) .  Gentoo (at home) at least gets me onto Eric
4.2.0 :) .
> Your problem is caused by a wrong mimetypes configuration of your computer. It
> doesn't return "text/javascript" or something similiar.

Apparently on Kubuntu Hardy the configuration is for
application/x-javascript .  I configured it to be text/javascript with
the result that I can now tell the shell (via Konquerer) to use Eric as
the editor, but it opens in a separate Eric instance, not the one in
which I'm browsing the project.
> However, you can define files with the extension *.js to be sources and
> they'll be opened in the editor.

That was the key.  The projectfromworking.py script I use to generate
project files from bzr/git/svn/cvs working directories wasn't specifying
the sourceExtensions for javascript, java or C++.  Sorry for the noise,
everyone.

Take care,
Mike