[QScintilla] Calltip does not appear after first (-character

Marc Gronle marc.gronle at ito.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Apr 1 14:45:54 BST 2015

Hello together,

we use QScintilla 2.8.4 with the Python lexer. Auto-completion and calltips
are enabled. Let's say we have the following function:

itom.ui.msgInformation(title, text)

I start writing "itom.ui.msgInformation", then the auto-completion appears,
all fine. Then I type the opening bracket ( character, but no calltip is
shown. When I go on writing the first argument followed by a comma, the
calltip appears.

Sometimes, the calltip already appears for the first argument, mainly by
the backspace character followed by a braket or comma.

The main problem seems to be in QsciAPIs::callTips. The incoming context
string list has an empty element as last element (this has been added
before). the function *positionOrigin* internally has different states. One
times, the by-ref variable *path *contains* itom.ui.msgInformation*,
sometimes it contains *itom.ui.msgInformation.* (with the trailing
separator character). This seems to be the error, since the line

path.append('(')

appends the left bracket, which yields either itom.ui.msgInformation.( or
itom.ui.msgInformation(. In the first case, no api is found, in the latter
case it is found.

As a workaround, it would remove the separator character at the end of the
variable *path*. But maybe this bug is caused by anything else. Does
anybody have the same behaviour or is this bug already considered somewhere
else?

Thanks for any remarks. I hope one can understand what I tried to describe.

Best regards,

Marc