[QScintilla] Blurry rendering of text on Retina displays on OS X

Alan Garny agarny at hellix.com
Tue Dec 3 14:50:52 GMT 2013

Hi,

I am using QScintilla (I have just upgraded to version 2.8) with Qt 5.1.1,
and one of my users just told me of the rendered text being blurry on his
Retina display on OS X.

After various tests, it would seem that the issue is with QScintilla itself
(rather than my application, Qt or even Scintilla). Indeed, I have
downloaded, built and tested QScintilla and Scintilla directly, and
everything works as expected with Scintilla (using their Cocoa
ScintillaTest; I wanted to use the 'qt' version, but that folder doesn't
contain any test application) while it doesn't with QScintilla (using your
example-Qt4Qt5).

For my testing, I simply called:

                $ defaults write -g AppleMagnifiedMode YES

then ran the QScintilla and Scintilla test applications, and then called:

                $ defaults write -g AppleMagnifiedMode NO

and re-ran the QScintilla and Scintilla test applications, expecting a
difference in the rendering of the applications' various texts, including
that of the editing widget itself.

Some screenshots illustrating the above can be found at
https://github.com/opencor/opencor/issues/248#issuecomment-29712073. As you
can see, there is no difference (i.e. blurry) in the way QScintilla renders
its contents while Scintilla does, as expected, renders its contents
differently depending on whether AppleMagnifiedMode is set to YES or NO.

Hopefully, this is an issue that you can identify and fix very quickly (I am
really interested in some of QScintilla's features, so it would be a real
shame if I had to use Scintilla directly).

Cheers, Alan.