[QScintilla] installation issues on windows

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Tue Sep 16 10:18:45 BST 2008

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:13:17 -0400, "Marc-Olivier LaBarre"
<molabarre at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've met two issues while installing and configuring Qscintilla
> (version 2.2) on my windows (xp) pc. I actually managed to (I think)
> solve the issues (simple edits into the config files), and only post
> so that the settings in question might be changed to avoid these
> issues for the next version.
>
> Issue 1:
> I've had a problem with the "make install" step of the intallation.
> the xcopy commands were buggy and returned "invalid number of
> parameters". Turned out, while looking into Makefile.release, that the
> xcopy instuctions didn't put quotation marks around the paths, which
> lead to a bad number of parameter if the path itself contains one (or
> more) space character.
> ex: -$(INSTALL_FILE) c:\Program
> Files\QScintilla-gpl-2.2\Qt4\qscintilla_cs.qm
> c:$(INSTALL_ROOT)\Qt\4.4.1\translations
> which I changed to: -$(INSTALL_FILE) "c:\Program
> Files\QScintilla-gpl-2.2\Qt4\qscintilla_cs.qm"
> c:$(INSTALL_ROOT)\Qt\4.4.1\translations
> I guess simply changing the generation of the commands themselves to
> add the quotation marks automatically should solve this problem.

This is a feature of Qt's qmake. Basically you should never install Qt in a
directory whose path contains spaces.

> Issue 2:
> The second issue was with the python bindings/sip code generation... I
> noticed that despite specifying alternate paths via the parameters
> (default C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\PyQt4, mine =
> C:\dev\Python25\Lib\site-packages\PyQt4), I was getting the standard
> error for code generation:
> Generating the C++ source for the Qsci module...
> The system cannot find the path specified.
> Error: Unable to create the C++ code.
>
> Turns out that despite giving specific parameters, the code itself
> turned back to the default folders, which explains the cannot generate
> code issue.
>
> here's the "argv" variable that is generated, at line 221 of
> configure.py (inside generate_code()):
> ['"C:\\Python25\\Lib\\site-packages\\PyQt4\\sip"', '-x', 'VendorID',
> '-t', 'WS_WIN', '-x', 'PyQt_NoPrintRangeBug', '-t', 'Qt_4_4_1', '-g',
> '-a', 'QScintilla2.api', '-I',
> 'C:\\Python25\\Lib\\site-packages\\PyQt4\\sip\\PyQt4', '-c', '.',
> '-b', 'qsci.sbf', 'sip/qscimod4.sip']
>
> To "solve" the problem I just added python lines to set the parameters
> to the right values, but that doesn't explain why the parameters I
> sent to the script where being ignored... First buggy/default path was
> from pyqt.sip_bin (at line 189), and the second came through
> sip_flags() (at line 191).

What was your command line to configure.py? The value of sip_bin was set
when sip was built and you can't change it from QScintilla's configure.py.