[QScintilla] XML and Python Lexer suggestions

Baz Walter bazwal at ftml.net
Fri Nov 14 17:23:14 GMT 2008

Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:43:28 +0000, Baz Walter <bazwal at ftml.net> wrote:

you're way too quick for me, phil - i was hoping to post a patch for
these yesterday, but you beat me to it :)

>> in earlier versions of scintilla, the xml lexer does not style cdata
>> sections inside script tags. scintilla 1.77 has introduced a property
>> 'lexer.xml.allow.scripts' to control this behaviour, and it would be
>> nice if a getter/setter for it could be added to qscintilla's xml lexer
>> class. unfortunately, the property is switched on (i.e. no styling) by
>> default, which (to my eye) looks like a bug when viewing xhtml documents
>> as xml. (is this one of the bugs referred to recently in qscintilla's
>> change history?)
>
> The flag is the other way round and the fact that scripts aren't styled is
> a bug. Fixed in tonight's snapshot.

i think we're on the same page here - it's just that you're better at
explaining it than i am :) the property defaults to styling the content
of script tags *as scripts*, rather than as cdata; this makes it *look
like* a bug because the xml lexer doesn't set fonts/colours for embedded
scripts. so the property needs to be set to false (i.e. not allow
scripts) to style cdata correctly.

> A future version will allow you to disable the styling of scripts.

i have a patch 95% done for this and i should be able to send it to you
later this evening. i'm calling it allowScripts() and it will default to
false - is this okay?

>> the python lexer suggestion is a lot simpler: could 'as' be added to the
>> keyword list? (this is mainly for the new exceptions syntax in python
> 2.6)
>
> Done.

thanks!

one more thing. while looking into this, i noticed that there are some
properties missing for some of the other lexers as well. so i thought i
could have a go at filling in some of the remaining gaps during the
weekend. would this be useful to you?

regards
baz walter