[QScintilla] Indentation guides in QScintilla2

Baz Walter bazwal at ftml.net
Sun Feb 17 18:10:07 GMT 2008

Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> On Sonntag, 17. Februar 2008, Baz Walter wrote:
>> Detlev Offenbach wrote:
>>   > I see the following. When you enter the following code
>>> def f():
>>>     x = 6
>>>     if x == 6:
>>>         x = 7
>>>

>>>         y = 7
>>>
>>> I get indentation guides below the if, even if the "empty" lines are
>>> really empty (no characters there).
>> Yes, I see the same thing, now. So it really does mean totally empty
>> lines. I suppose the guides are being drawn something like the Edge
>> Column in Edge-Line Mode.
>>
>> This looks like it might be quite annoying at first glance. However,
>> your example python code has an indentation error with the fifth and
>> sixth lines being newlines only. The problem would be more compelling if
>> there were examples of syntactically correct code which showed wrong
>> indentation guides.
>>
>> Baz
>
> The code is correct and is working. Just save it to a file and execute it with
> python.

Oops, sorry. I pasted it into an interactive session and got an
IndentationError - I didn't look at the code itself.

But now I don't see what's wrong with the new behaviour in this
particular case. The "y = 7" line belongs to the if statement, so the
indentation guides are not misleading.

I just viewed your example in an editor using Qscintilla versions 1.7.1
and 2.1, and the indentation guides have gaps at the fifth and sixth
lines - which looks wrong to me.

Are you saying it would be better with the gaps?

Baz