Deprecated method/class

Julien Cabieces julien.cabieces at oslandia.com
Wed Mar 6 08:48:22 GMT 2024

Hi,

According to quite recent PEP 702 [0] targeted for python version 3.13,
it will be possible to add @deprecated decorator to functions and
classes so they could be identified statically by linter.

For now, thanks to the Deprecated annotation, SIP is able to flag a
method/class deprecated and will display a message whenever the
class/method is called at runtime.

But, it would be a nice improvment to detect them statically.

I think that one way to do it would be to add the decorator in SIP
generated pyi files. I have tested it with pyright and it works.

Could this be implemented ?

And could it be possible to add a specific message to the Deprecated
annotation, like "This method X() is deprecated, use Y() instead"

Regards,
Julien

[0] https://peps.python.org/pep-0702/

--