Issue with PyQt6 on PyPI

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Fri Apr 26 10:19:04 BST 2024

On 26/04/2024 07:16, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> I just got an error report, that the latest eric-ide cannot be
> installed. When checking the error log I found out, that PyQt6-Qt6 on
> the official PyPI is already version 6.7.0 while PyQt6 is still at
> 6.6.1. This seems to cause a conflict.
>
> Regards,
> Detlev

The problem is that the PyQt6-WebEngine-Qt6 v6.7.0 macOS on Intel wheel
exceeded the default 100M file limit on PyPI. I only realised this after
I'd uploaded all the other Qt6 wheels. I've put in a request to have the
limit increased and chose not to upload the PyQt v6.7.0 wheels in the
hope that the limit would be increased quickly.

However it looks like there hasn't been any increase in limits since
March 9th and there are about 26 outstanding requests. I've therefore
uploaded the PyQt6 wheels so everything should now be fine unless you
want to install PyQt6-WebEngine for macOS on Intel.

To work round the problem you need to first install the
PyQt6-WebEngine-Qt6 wheel from the local PyPI server.

The problem arose in the first place because PyQt6 wheels (up until now)
don't specify an upper limit on the version of the corresponding Qt6
wheel they depend on. They take advantage of the binary compatibility
"promises" of Qt so that you can use, for example, PyQt6 v6.x with Qt6
v6.x+1. However those "promises" cannot be relied on these days so the
PyQt6 v6.7 wheels now require Qt6 v6.7 wheels - so the same problem
shouldn't happen again.

Another consequence of this change is that becomes practical to support
Qt modules that are Technical Previews (so long as their APIs don't
change between v6.x.y and v6.x.y+1). Technical Preview seems to be a
permanent state these days - so let me know if any of them are of
particular interest.