QTranslator: Which Qt elements translated by default?

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sun Jun 18 12:00:05 BST 2023

Am 18.06.23 um 12:16 schrieb c.buhtz at posteo.jp:
> Hi,
>
> when using QTranslator it is useful to have standard buttons like
> Yes/No/Cancle translated into the desired language.
>
> Beside such buttons what else is influenced by the translator. Which Qt
> elements do use strings that would be translated when using QTranslator?

All kinds of things. Here are just a few examples.

  * QFileDialog
  * QMessageBox
  * context menus of standard elements like QTextEdit

Rebuilding all these seems to be a huge task to me and not worth the
effort just to port them to using gettext. I'd rather suggest getting
the translation right. For my project (eric-ide) I am using QTranslator
based translations exclusively. Maybe mixing both translation methods is
not the best decision. But that is up to the individual project.

> Kind
> Christian
Regards

Detlev