Problems with PyQt5 on Raspi 5 / Debian Bookworm

ullix ullix at urkam.de
Fri Dec 15 16:23:01 GMT 2023

I got the new Raspi 5 and tested a few things. I used pip to
install/modify a dozen packages, and all worked except for *PyQt5.*

PyQt5 had been apt-installed as version 5.15.9, and worked in tests of
mine. But what failed was when trying to upgrade to 5.15.10. After
closer instepction I apt-removed the apt-installed PyQt5, and tried to
pip-install that very same version. It failed with :

   Preparing metadata (pyproject.toml): started
   Preparing metadata (pyproject.toml): finished with status 'error'

Full error report in attached file.

After reinstalling 'python3-pyqt5' via apt, it worked again.

Where is the problem: Raspi, Debian, pip, pyqt5?

ullix

On Raspi 5 I used the default OS install:

      Raspberry Pi OS with desktop

  * Release date: December 5th 2023
  * System: 64-bit
  * Kernel version: 6.1