App icons under wayland show as a W

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Tue May 11 23:12:49 BST 2021

On Tue May 11 20:44:20 BST 2021, Barry Scott wrote:

> Both my PyQt5 apps when run under wayland do not show there app icons.
> What I see is a W icon, that I'm assuming is the wayland default.
>
> When the same app is run under X11 the app icon shows fine.
>
> Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

How are you setting the icon? Are you also setting the application name?

The reason I ask is because I encountered an issue with GTK applications
where the application name/ID needed to match the program name in order
for Wayland to match up the application with its icon.

However, maybe the problem is less extreme with Qt-based applications.
There is a guide about Wayland for KDE application developers and maybe
you will find this section useful:

https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/
Wayland_Porting_Notes#Application_Icon

Good luck!