Error building PyQt5 from source

Gehlhaar, Daniel Kurt dan.gehlhaar at pfizer.com
Tue Feb 23 18:19:27 GMT 2021

All,

I am trying to follow the directions to build PyQt5 from source. My ultimate goal is to use my custom-built Qt installation.

I started with a clean Python 3.6 (no sip or PyQt5 installed).  I have my python and Qt directories in my PATH. I did the following steps as per the web page instructions:

  *   pip install PyQt5
  *   pip install PyQt5-builder

I downloaded the latest PyQt5 source distribution from PyPi and unpacked it. I changed to that directory and did:

  *   sip-install

I got the following error:

Checking to see if the QtXmlPatterns bindings can be built...
Checking to see if the dbus-python support should be built...
The dbus-python package does not seem to be installed.
These bindings will be built: Qt, pylupdate, pyrcc.
Generating the Qt bindings...
Generating the pylupdate bindings...
sip-install: C:/Users/gehlhaar/Qt/PyQt5-5.15.2/sip/QtCore/QtCoremod.sip:25: At most one of this %Timeline must be specified with the -t flag

I tried to dig into this .sip file and figure out the source of the error, but I don't understand the build process well enough (it seemed like there was only one %Timeline specified). I tried looking for a nightly build but there are none on the distribution page at https://riverbankcomputing.com/software/pyqt/download.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dan