PyKDL fails to import after PyQt5.QtCore

Timon Engelke pyqt at timonengelke.de
Mon Apr 12 18:43:56 BST 2021

Hi Dmitry!

On Tue, 2021-03-16 at 15:23 +0300, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
> Hi Timon!
>
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 02:23:59PM +0100, Timon Engelke wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I am on Debian Testing and noticed the following error when using PyQt5 and
> > PyKDL:

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> > ValueError: PyCapsule_GetPointer called with incorrect name
> >
> > When I import PyKDL before PyQt5.QtCore, both imports are successful.
>
> Debian maintainer of PyQt5 here, I want to add some debugging information.
>
> [...]
>
> Maybe Phil can add more details here, but I think the only way to resolve
> this will be importing PyKDL before PyQt5.QtCore, until PyKDL gets ported to
> a newer SIP version.

Thank you for the reply!
I discovered that PyKDL no longer uses sip in their upstream, they switched to
pybind11, but that version is not released yet. So once a new version is released
and packaged for Debian, this problem will be resolved. Until then, I am
importing PyKDL before PyQt5.QtCore, as you recommended.

Best,
Timon Engelke