Building extensions that extend pyqt with sip5

Patrick Stinson patrickkidd at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 19:12:40 BST 2020

What is the correct way to configure a sip-5 project that extends PyQt5? I cannot find this in the sip-5 documentation.

I am asking 1) if the following way of configuring the sip project is ideal, and 2) about the following linker error. 2) The PyQtPurchasing project has the following:

[tool.sip]
project-factory = "pyqtbuild:PyQtProject”

This appears to require the extension files be structured like this:

./pyproject.toml
./sip/<module>/<module>mod.sip

This seems to get sip-install to find the PyQt5 .sip and .h files for the example fib sip project where I only added the following single line to the .sip file:

%Import QtCore/QtCoremod.sip

However, I did get the following link problem when importing the extension module. This is on a fresh ubuntu install with a virtualenv that only has qt built and in the path, and pyqt5 + sip + PyQt-Builder installed via pip.

patrick at huor:~/pyqt5-test$ python -c "import something"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: /home/patrick/pyqt5-test/myenv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/PyQt5/QtCore.abi3.so: symbol _ZdlPvm version Qt_5 not defined in file libQt5Core.so.5 with link time reference

-Patrick