pyqt5-tools wheels for Python 3.9

Kyle Altendorf sda at fstab.net
Sat Oct 17 19:08:49 BST 2020

On 2020-10-17 10:39, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> when will you provide pyqt5-tools wheels for Python 3.9? If that is
> because you ran out of space, I suggest to drop the Python 3.5 wheels
> as that version is EoL.

Yes, the PyPI quota is the reason 3.9 wheels aren't released.  Also why
the translations addition you asked for isn't (fully) released.

https://github.com/altendky/pyqt5-tools/issues/58
https://github.com/altendky/pyqt5-tools/issues/59

Are you 'urgently' waiting on this?  I might be able to get an exception
for the sake of one more release.  Yeah, I could and I might end up
taking down old releases but it would be nice not to.

I'm presently working through splitting pyqt5-tools out to three
packages actually.  Just the Qt tools, just the PyQt plugins, and just
the wrapper entry points with the various 'nice' options.  I promise I'm
not just trying to triple my quota on PyPI.  :]  Rather, it let's the
large Qt tools package drop the matrix axis against Python version which
is pointless for it.  It also avoids creating new artifacts that include
the tools when I just make a wrapper change or such.  So it should
drastically reduce the space taken by published artifacts.  It should
also reduce the build time and make it faster for me to fix stuff.  And
yes, also reset my quota on the big bits at least, as a side bonus.

https://github.com/altendky/pyqt5-tools/issues/62#issuecomment-710966218

I don't know how many people here are interested in pyqt5-tools but if
you want to weigh in on package names, let me know.  :]  I think my
default at present is qttools, pyqtplugins, and...  not sure at the top
level.  But, I'm focusing on the work first and the naming later.

And yes, this sort of situation is exemplary of why I pointed out that I
haven't been a great maintainer...

Cheers,
-kyle