adding -fPIC compiler option for building on SPARC, Solaris 11.4

Nate Alderson alderson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 00:31:37 GMT 2020

Hello,

I am attempting to build PyQt5-5.15.2.dev2010041344 on SPARC, Solaris 11.4
with gcc 9.3.0 , but it fails linking:

ld: fatal: relocation error: R_SPARC_M44: file
moc_qpycore_event_handlers.o: symbol vtable for PyQtMonitor: invalid shared
object relocation type: ABS44 code model unsupported
ld: fatal: relocation error: R_SPARC_L44: file
moc_qpycore_event_handlers.o: symbol vtable for PyQtMonitor: invalid shared
object relocation type: ABS44 code model unsupported
ld: fatal: relocation error: R_SPARC_H44: file
moc_qpycore_event_handlers.o: symbol QHash<QObject*,
QHashDummyValue>::deleteNode2(QHashData::Node*): invalid shared object
relocation type: ABS44 code model unsupported
ld: fatal: relocation error: R_SPARC_M44: file
moc_qpycore_event_handlers.o: symbol QHash<QObject*,
QHashDummyValue>::deleteNode2(QHashData::Node*): invalid shared object
relocation type: ABS44 code model unsupported
ld: fatal: relocation error: R_SPARC_L44: file
moc_qpycore_event_handlers.o: symbol QHash<QObject*,
QHashDummyValue>::deleteNode2(QHashData::Node*): invalid shared object
relocation type: ABS44 code model unsupported

Googling indicated I should add the -fPIC option to the g++ flags but I
can't figure out how that works.  I've tried:
"python configure.py CXXFLAGS+=-fPIC" among other  things but nothing seems
to work. Any suggestions?

I have manually added the flag to some Makefiles and that resolved the
issue.

Thanks,
Nate