Crash-on-exit after call to app.processEvents()

Thomas Caswell tcaswell at gmail.com
Mon May 25 23:42:09 BST 2020

This is reminding me of the issues Armando raised with Matplotlib (
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/14178 /
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/14179).  I now understand why
Matplotlib (and IPython) holding references to the qApp can be problematic
(as in this case del ing app just drops your reference to it but does not
actually trigger the `__delete__` code because other parts of the codebase
are keeping it alive) if having a "live" app on process shut down can cause
problems.

My naive guess as to why calling `ProcessEvents` triggers the issue as that
it creates some extra state on at least the c++ side and we end up tearing
down the objects on the Python side in a different order than we need to on
the c++ side.  Oventually something winds up with a null pointer (because
there was a reference at the c++ level but not at the Python level) and
boom.  I stress that while that is where I would start looking to track
this down it is still very much a guess.

Tom

--
Thomas Caswell
tcaswell at gmail.com